Volatility in Interaction Volumes

How do we ensure accuracy in scheduling if there are challenges when it comes to erratic or volatile call volumes from certain line of businesses?

This is one of my favorite topics - volatility in planning. My feedback is that volatility needs to be a component that goes into each planning stage (long-term budgets down to whether you’re staffing to “net-zero” on an interval basis). I’m eager to hear how others factor volatility into their processes… are you trying to thread a needle :sewing_needle: with your practices, or do you incorporate volatility into your plan?

1 Like

So, my take on this is, erratic or volatile call volumes usually come for a few reasons. If it is a low volume LOB (less that 100 calls per 30 min interval), then what may seem erratic is not that many calls. Sometimes, call volume seems erratic because you are reporting at a very detailed level. For example, if you use one day as your pattern, it may seem to jump around al lot, but if layer all your intervals together for a month, you may see a less erratic pattern emerge. Try not to set your forecast accuracy goals to close to the intervals level and keep it at a higher level, like weekly or monthly.

1 Like