Is it time to replace adherence as a measurement?

What’s your position on Adherence? Is it time to re-think :thinking: this metric?

I believe Schedule Adherence is a key metric. It does, however, require some guardrails. First you must determine an achievable goal. A goal that takes AHT and other factors in to account. Next, you need to have SOPs set up to ensure schedule integrity. If you have agents who are running close to 100% then that is a sure sign that the schedules are being “fixed”. Schedule Adherence must reflect what is actually occurring. Quality WFM and ACD tools should be in place to make sure you are getting accurate data. Don’t lose sight of Schedule Conformance and make sure your team knows the difference between the two.

1 Like

Although it will vary by organization I do believe that Schedule Adherence is of limited value in WFM of the future. As we look to a future with a more robust servicing model; traditional methods of generating schedules and planning time will become archaic. Workforce Management of the future, by necessity, will require us to be more fluid and ractive in real time. As a result of this paradigm shift , adherence to a particular schedule or set of activities will become more difficult and of limited value to the business or contact center agent. When we combine the more dynamic needs of the business, with the increased flexibility agents are demanding, we see that metrics that measuring adherence to a specific pre-planned schedule will potentially amount to nothing more than backdoor accounting in an effort to match the performance to the goal as opposed to acting as a means to drive agent availability. Personally, I think, as an industry, we should also be having serious discussions about the metrics we use to drive performance. The fact that, essentially, we’re using the same metrics we have for the past 30 plus years in contact centers should be an opening for such discussions.

1 Like

For me schedule adherence is very important in all aspect, whether your main key performance metrics is service level or line adherence. This will definitely affects the result of the overall production. While maintaining to pass the schedule adherence target. Quite confusing right but this will surely pull up or down our numbers.

1 Like

I strongly believe adherence is great as an indicator measure however having a specific target for adherence simply places a strain on team managers to “fix” adherence through exception adjustments.

Conversely, natural schedule adherence is great to understand from a “risk rated schedule” (to use WFM Labs terminology :slight_smile: - what the likely variability to plan is going to be

1 Like