Calculating the Attendance Report

Why is the Attendance measure important?

1 Like

I think that’s a great question. Historically, attendance has been held up as a standard to ensure agents are meeting their requisite hourly commitment to the business. So, if we expected an agent to be logged in and available to work 40 hours in a week (less breaks and lunches) we’d look at Attendance as a way to validate that was indeed what happened. If we wanted to break that down even further we would look at Schedule Adherence to determine if the agents were doing the work we expected WHEN we expected them to be doing it (i.e. If we expected the agent to be handling a call or available to handle a call for 6.5 hours is that what we saw). If we were concerned with start and stop times (i.e. was the agent logged in at 8:00 am and taking break at 10:15, etc.) we monitor Schedule Conformance. I would argue that, in today’s fluid, remote world, we’re better off providing agents with more flexibility and we focus less on the Conformance measure. Metrics such as Schedule Adherence and Schedule Conformance inherently assume that the Staff Plan is going to be 100% accurate and measuring them minimizes deviation from “The Plan”. However, in most contact centers we know that the moment we are finished making a plan it essentially becomes inaccurate and we are moving resources to better align with Reality. If that is the case then doesn’t it make more sense to devise metrics that better align with the business and agent needs? In both cases we’re seeking flexibility. The business needs flexibility in order to keep up with the pace of the work in near real time. Agents require flexibility in order to better manage work-life balance. I’m not sure what exactly that metric would look like but I do believe it is far removed from the current Attendance Metrics we normally track.

1 Like